Ange scores new coaching job with City Group
FOOTBALL: Former Socceroos boss Ange Postecogluo has signed on for his next coaching role, with Japanese powerhouse Yokohama F Marinos of the City Football Group.
The move will allow Postecoglou to shadow iconic boss Pep Guardiola at Manchester City for several days next month before taking the reins with the J-League outfit, according to the Herald Sun's David Davutovic.
The Australian coach signed after a late bid from a Chinese Super League club, with CFG's connections and opportunities winning out.
Yokohama, part of the Manchester City football conglomerate which also owns Melbourne City, is a three-time Japanese champion but has not won the title since 2004.
The news comes one month after Postecoglou stunned Australian football by confirming he would not coach the Socceroos at the Russia 2018 World Cup, despite leading the team through a brutal qualifying campaign that ended with a play-off victory over Honduras.
Postecoglou has clearly moved on from his Socceroos break-up quicker than Football Federation Australia has been able to.
Despite reports indicating the job of replacing Postecoglou has already been offered to Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold, the FFA maintains it will not even begin interviewing potential candidates until January.
Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow on Monday insisted the A-League club has made no contingency plans in case Arnold is poached by the Socceroos.
The Sky Blues have let Football Federation Australia know it will have a fight on its hands to sign the contracted championship-winning mentor, the local favourite to take over from Ange Postecoglou.
But Barlow was adamant no moves had yet been made to identify a potential replacement should Arnold be recruited to lead Australia to next year's World Cup.
"We haven't, honestly," Barlow said on Monday.
"We're certainly not working away in the background looking at alternatives, that's not the case at all.
"We've made it clear to FFA that Graham is contracted. We expect him to honour his contract ... beyond that we haven't really thought ahead."
It emerged Sydney were so worried about the prospect of losing Arnold to the national team they'd sent FFA a letter two months ago before Postecoglou quit, reminding the governing body the 54-year-old is contracted until the end of next season.
Last week Arnold was forced to deny a report he'd already been offered the job, maintaining he's not been contacted by FFA.
It prompted chief executive Danny Townsend to hose down suggestions there is a clause in Arnold's contract allowing him to walk away from the club for a role with the Socceroos.
It's unclear whether there is a get-out clause centred around an opportunity with an overseas club.
"Graham has said to me that if anything was to come up I'd be the first person he'd speak to," Barlow said.
"I've got a long and very positive relationship with Graham that's built on trust, and I know when he says something like that to me it's the truth. "So I'll rely on that, and whatever I read from time to time goes in one ear and out the other.
"He certainly hasn't come to me, that's where we are."
Postecoglou will be taking his first club coaching job since 2013, when he left Melbourne Victory to take the national team role when Holger Osieck was sacked. Prior to that, he enjoyed huge success with Brisbane Roar, winning back-to-back championships and overseeing an unprecedented unbeaten streak of 36 matches.
- with AAP