Anger over rebate rid proposal for seniors

FRASER Coast's elderly residents could soon be zapped with an extra $328 on their annual power costs if a Queensland Productivity Commission recommendation is given the nod.

The proposal, made in the Commission's draft electricity inquiry released Wednesday, suggests stripping away Queensland Seniors Card holders' access to the annual electricity rebate.

But Maryborough MP Bruce Saunders, who contacted the Queensland Treasury last week, was told the change had been ruled out, for pensioners.

"We have a lot of pensioners and we (the Palaszczuk Government) don't have to take notice of the productivity report... they (the commission) make a recommendation to the government and we make the decision."

The QLD Seniors Card is not means tested and is available to anyone over the age of 65.

The draft report, which also proposed an earlier end to the Solar Bonus Scheme's 44c feed-in-tariff, is still open for review - submissions can be lodged up until March 11.

The rebate scrap proposal for those with a QLD senior's card has already drawn ire - "absolutely disgusting" is how Fraser Shores Retirement Village employee Sandi Walker described it.

"Those people with the (QLD) Seniors Card have worked hard all their life and they deserve any rebates they get," she said.

Have your say on the topic and join the conversation below.