Axe-wielding attack leaves man needing face surgery
FACIAL surgery was required to treat a 24-year-old man who was bashed at a gathering that spiralled out of control.
Terrence John Marshall-Hunter, now 22, and Brody David Marston, now 20, were drinking at a Currimundi house on July 31, 2018 when they got into an argument with the 24-year-old.
Judge Gary Long said the pair, who were on parole, worked together in assaulting the victim and footage played to the court showed Marshall-Hunter knocking him to the ground with a punch.
They followed him outside, Marston carrying an axe while Marshall-Hunter apologised.
Mr Long said the excessive force the pair had applied to the victim while inside the house was a catalyst for what followed.
"He was followed outside by a number of other persons who were in the house and there he was struck from behind, fell to the grass before being struck a number of times, feeling multiple blows and seeing multiple people gathered around him," Mr Long said.
"Prosecution does not put forward any particular assertion that either of you was involved in doing that."
The man suffered a fractured eye socket, facial contusion and a minor head injury.
He was referred to maxillofacial surgery in Brisbane for treatment.
Potential jury members filled the Maroochydore District Court on Monday expecting a trial to go ahead before Marshall-Hunter and Marston pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm while in company.
Marston also pleaded guilty to a second charge of going armed as to cause fear.
Marshall-Hunter was sentenced to 12 months' jail, suspended for two years.
Marston's 47 days of pre-sentence custody was considered and he was sentenced to two years' probation.
The convictions were recorded.
The court heard Mark Marshall, 47, who was also seen to throw punches at the victim had already been sentenced for his involvement in the attack.
He was given 120 hours of community service when dealt with in June last year at Ipswich Magistrates Court.