Anni Weise is not happy about a proposed NBN tower at Bauple.
Anni Weise is not happy about a proposed NBN tower at Bauple. Stephanie Kay

Bauple kept in dark about plan for NBN tower

A BAUPLE woman is outraged over the National Broadband Network rollout in her community, saying a planned 50m tower will be an eyesore and a health risk to locals.

She is encouraging concerned community members to attend a public meeting with NBN Co on September 2 from 3pm to 6pm at the Bauple Band Hall.

Anni Weise said the Bauple Forest Estate Community was up in arms about the application to build a 50m NBN tower close to their homes.

Read NBN Co's response here.

Ms Weise, whose home will be about 100m from the proposed tower, said she was one of many residents who did not receive a letter from the NBN Co advising her of the plans, and was informed by a friend.

"According to Kate Doughan, project manager, 185 residents had been notified but after speaking to the residents it appears only about one third of the community received mail notification," she said.

Ms Weise said the NBN rollout had been advertised as an underground system but that was not what was planned for Bauple.

"While this has been true for affluent and more populated areas, Bauple is being offered the cheaper and less effective service line-of-sight towers, which rise 50m and are directly adjacent to some homes, approximately 100m away," she said.

"Limits for public exposure are generally recommended as occ- upational, not for a long duration. Therefore residents within a 500m radius will be affected.

"Worldwide studies have proven serious health risks for extended duration of exposure to electro- magnetic emissions."

People who cannot attend the meeting but want their concerns heard can phone Ms Weise on 0427 078 975.