Beach House Hotel already taking bookings for functions
HE ADMITS he's probably the only person on the Fraser Coast not hoping for rain.
But Gary Gilbert wants another month of fine weather so the 120-bay car park and drainage work at the back of the Beach House Hotel site can be finished.
Mr Gilbert, the general manager of both the Beach House in Scarness and the Carriers Arms Hotel in Maryborough, said after that, he hoped it would rain because the region needed it.
The redevelopment of the old single-storey Beach House and bottle shop, which began in April last year, is costing more than $6 million.
Mr Gilbert said after Easter, ads would start to appear for chefs and other workers to staff the bottle shop, bar, gaming room, TAB, function area and restaurant.
"Come the middle of May, we're going to need 40 or 50 staff to make it all happen," he said.
Mr Gilbert said people had already started inquiring about the upstairs function room and at least one school had already booked in its formal.
He said the roof of the main building was almost finished and the top floor was not far away from being at lock-up stage.
Mr Gilbert said while initially the new bottle shop at the rear of the property was going to be opened before the hotel, now they would be opened at the same time.
"The whole lot will open hopefully by some time in June at the latest," he said.
"That depends a little on the weather."
When asked whether the hotel would be an upmarket attraction for tourists or a watering hole for locals, Mr Gilbert said he thought it would appeal to both.
"I tend to see it more as
somewhere for the people to come and relax with their family and enjoy some time out," he said.
"This is such a great spot."
- Ground level includes a main bar in front of a TAB and sports bar on one side of the building and a restaurant in front of a gaming area on the other
- It sits about 1m higher than the footpath and will have a deck for outdoor drinking and dining running along the front
- The first floor function area has a maximum capacity of about 480 and can be divided into four rooms
- A veranda runs the length of the building's first floor
- The complex will have two complete kitchens - one upstairs and one downstairs