Buccaneers are hungry for finals success after gutsy win

FOOTBALL: A gutsy and gritty win against Sunshine Coast Wanderers sealed a fairytale finals appearance for the under-15 Wide Bay Buccaneers.

Knowing that a win would all but secure a fairytale finals appearance in the club's maiden year and spell the end of the home team's hopes of finals, a tense battle was expected and a dog fight was delivered.

It was a rough and tumble game as Sunshine Coast came out physical and determined to win at home.

It was the usually slow-starting Buccaneers that started positive and dominated the opening period, with Lachie Porter being released down the left wing on a swift counter attack from the Buccaneers' backline.

Porter placed a pin point cross into the box that was finished first time by the competition's leading goal scorer Bailey Paxton.

The Buccaneers had the start they were seeking after just five minutes.

For the next 15 minutes the young Buccaneers stood firm with the defence line repelling any half chance on goal, and anything that did make it through didn't seem to trouble goalkeeper Isaac Kelsey.

Wide Bay squandered a couple of opportunities to double their lead on a couple of occasions before momentum swun gin the last 10 minutes of the first half.

Sunshine Coast were unrelenting in their pressure on the ball and the hot conditions and physical nature seemed to start taking its toll on the Buccaneers.

On the stroke of half time Sunny Coast were awarded a corner kick and unfortunately all the good work was undone as they headed in a goal to the far post for the equaliser.

At half time, coach Dale Paxton pleaded with his team to lift and to play with the want and desire that has got them to this position 24 rounds into the long QPL competition.

With those words ringing loud, the Buccaneers came out again dominating the opening stanza only to again squander a couple of chances in front of goal.

Finally though the pressure took its toll and Jordan Visinten put Wide Bay back ahead, cleaning up a loose ball after waves of relentless attack.

From there, Sunshine Coast completely fired up and looked desperate, but the Buccaneers defence though held strong and barely looked threatened.

On the counter attack, the Buccaneers had opportunities to put the game to bed, but just couldn't find the back of the net.

The Buccaneers played through it all and came out on top at the final whistle, all but guaranteeing them a trip to Brisbane in two weeks for a shot at the title.

Before then they have there last home game of the year, and the only game to be played in Maryborough for the season this Sunday against arguably the best team in the competition, Peninsula Power.