CA takes jab at Maxwell over tour withdrawal
ELEMENTS of the Cricket Australia hierarchy felt Glenn Maxwell could have delayed his elbow surgery and tried to soldier through the tour of South Africa by using injections.
For this reason it was left to Maxwell to make the unusual call to stand himself down from national duty due to injury, rather than being ruled out by the team's doctors.
Maxwell is desperate to help lead Australia to Twenty20 World Cup glory on home soil later this year and although shattered to pull out of his international comeback, he felt going under the knife immediately was the only road for him to take.
"I was not confident that I could perform at international level with my elbow in its current state and have decided to undergo surgery straight away to fix the issue," a shattered Maxwell said.
But his decision was met with some disappointment and frustration in the Australian camp.
There was a feeling he could have taken the option of a cortisone injection and tried to get through the coming six weeks of international cricket before going for surgery.
The fact the call has been made in the week the team flies to South Africa hasn't helped, although the pain in Maxwell's elbow only intensified on the weekend.
It's been an uncomfortable and complicated situation for all involved.
Maxwell is clearly injured and there appears no dispute over the fact he would have needed surgery eventually.
His imaging scans were reviewed by Cricket Australia doctor Richard Saw as well as a specialist, and confirmed some loose fragments of bone in his left elbow joint.
Despite stopping short of ruling him out, Cricket Australia was supportive of Maxwell's decision to stand down, and his call is not expected to affect his chances of playing the World Cup, although he has now opened the door for D'Arcy Short to get an opportunity in his place.
After undergoing surgery on Thursday, Maxwell is expected to return in six to eight weeks, and could play in most of the Indian Premier League.
However, there can be no doubting Maxwell's commitment to country over franchise after his withdrawal last year from the IPL to prioritise his preparations for the 50-over World Cup.
The IPL is regarded as the premier T20 competition in the world, and it could be argued will serve as the best preparation for the T20 World Cup later in the year.
By getting the surgery down now, Maxwell, will be fit for white-ball tours in the UK and Australia later in the year.
Meanwhile, fast bowling star Josh Hazlewood said administrators should review the Australian Cricket Awards and whether the voting system was fair on bowlers.
Pat Cummins has been arguably the standout bowler in world cricket this year, yet finished nine points behind David Warner in the Allan Border Medal voting.
Hazlewood feels big batting milestones are rewarded more than wicket hauls.
"It's a good question. Just going off the last few years, I think it definitely rewards big man of the matches and then not doing much for a while and then big man of the matches, rather than a consistent person who gets one or two votes all the time," he said.
"It doesn't seem to marry up even, if that makes sense. It's not quite rewarding the consistent player (for example) with what Patty has done.
"I'm probably a bit biased being a bowler as well.
"I think those big games the batters have when they get 200s and 300s have a lot more values than when a bowler takes five wickets. I'm not exactly sure exactly how the voting works but it might be something to have a look at."