Camper trailer destroyed by fire on Fraser Island

POLICE are urging holiday makers to check their campers and caravans for items which contain 12 volt connections after a trailer was destroyed by fire on Fraser Island.

A camper trailer was left unattended when a fire ignited in the 12 volt electrical system about 1.45pm on Sunday.

The fire quickly spread and destroyed the camper completely.

No one was in the trailer at the time and no one was injured.

A Maryborough police spokeswoman urged all Fraser Coast residents and visitors to check any electrical items used for camping.

"By checking electrical items, which are often not used frequently, could just save your property and your life," she said.

For more information about fire safety visit www.fire.qld.gov.au