Angry dad calls for action after boy, 3, attacked by dog
THE father of a three-year-old boy bitten by a dog at a Sunshine Coast caravan park is calling for action to be taken against the dog owner and the caravan park owner.
Allan Davies said he "freaked out straight away" when he received a phone call about 11.30am on Wednesday, saying his son, Aaron, had been attacked by a dog.
"He went too close to a dog and his bowl, that's when the dog bit him," Mr Davies said.
Aaron sustained two cuts to his nose and one on his forehead.
Mr Davies said the dog owner and caravan park owner had a duty of care and should be made responsible.
"I think charges are going to be laid against the dog owner or the park owner," he said.
"The caravan park should have a responsibility as well, not just the dog owner.
"The responsibility should be spread around and hopefully things will change in the caravan park, so it won't happen again, so no other child gets bitten.
"I just don't want everything going on the dog owner. Yes he is to blame, but if the caravan park had the proper things in place, it wouldn't have happened."
Sunshine Coast Council is investigating the dog attack.
"The dog remains in council care having been seized soon after the attack was reported, due to ongoing concern for public safety," a council spokeswoman said.
She said dogs kept in caravan parks on a permanent basis were required to be kept in 10m by 10m enclosures.
"Council is taking action against the dog owner under the Animal Management Act, to ensure incidents involving the dog are avoided in future," she said. "The owner has 14 days to respond to a show cause notice as to why the dog should not be declared dangerous.
"Council is investigating dogs that are kept in caravan parks on a permanent basis without appropriate fenced enclosures."
Aaron was taken to Nambour General Hospital, where he underwent surgery for his injuries.
"When I got there, he was bandaged up and had a drip in his arm," Mr Davies said.
"He was fine when he woke up the next day."