CULPRIT: A  Morning Bulletin  front page from August 1999.
CULPRIT: A Morning Bulletin front page from August 1999. File

Dangerous sex offender back in jail until new year

A DANGEROUS sex offender accessed the internet for six months, including porn sites, before being busted by authorities.

Peter Scott Griffin, 50, served a 13-year sentence after pleading guilty to attacking three women in the street in 1998, forcing them to perform oral sex on him and raping one.

Yesterday he was sentenced to a six-month prison term, wholly suspended after two months and operational for 18 months.

Griffin's supervision order has many conditions, including number 26, which restricts him from accessing a computer or the internet without prior written consent from parole authorities.

However when police executed a warrant at his Gracemere residence on May 13 - they were investigating an incident in which a 15-year-old girl was filmed while changing clothes in the City Beach store in Stockland Rockhampton four days earlier - during the search they found a mobile phone Griffin had been using.

Police prosecutor Jess King said Griffin told police he had verbal permission from parole authorities to use it to access the internet, which checks revealed was not the case and the supervision order required written permission.

A forensic analysis discovered he had used the phone to access porn websites, eBay and websites about replica guns between October 29, 2017 and May 10, 2018.

"This defendant has blatantly breached a supervision order for an extended period of time and then lied about it," magistrate Jeff Clarke said.

It's not the first time Griffin has breached the supervision order.

He spent six months in custody this year, after the search warrant was executed, for the filming of the teenager in the shopping centre.

The presence of Griffin in the store at the shopping centre unaccompanied constituted a breach of condition of his supervision order.

He had breached that condition of the order the first time in 2013 when he was caught masturbating in the shopping centre's carpark.

Investigations this year revealed that Griffin had been communicating via the internet with women in Russia.

Part of that communication involved him receiving naked photographs from them.

In a judgment published last month, Justice Peter Davis made additional requirements against Griffin after finding he had contravened requirements of his supervision order.

Griffin is now banned from owning or frequently using more than one mobile telephone.

He must also allow any device to be randomly examined.