Ex-mayor says council has not acknowledged his flood letter
FORMER Tiaro mayor John Horrex has slammed the Fraser Coast Regional Council's communication skills, claiming he's had no acknowledgment for a letter sent in April about flood-proofing Maryborough's central business district.
The ex-mayor joined a group of Maryborough business owners earlier this year - under the moniker Flood-Proof the Mary Heart - to lobby for the construction of a Queens Park levee bank.
The group called for the council to put aside money in its 2013-14 budget so plans could be prepared and funding submissions made to federal and state governments for the project.
But Mr Horrex said he had not heard from the council.
"It is extremely disappointing there has been no acknowledgment from the council regarding the letter we wrote on April 11," Mr Horrex said.
"I've since spoken to several councillors who promised to get back to me and not one of them has."
Disappointed but not deterred, Mr Horrex escalated the fight at the latest council meeting, calling for Fraser Coast Regional Council chief executive officer Lisa Desmond to answer questions.
They included whether a cost-benefit analysis for a submission, made to the State Government's Betterment Fund for a Queens Park levee it claimed would cost $20million to build was included.
He also asked if Maryborough CBD business owners were consulted about financial losses as part of the council's post-flood reviews.
Fraser Coast Mayor Gerard O'Connell said: "A detailed response to all of his questions is being developed and will be sent to Mr Horrex as soon as possible."