Four months in juvenile detention deemed time enough for teenager
Four months in juvenile detention was deemed enough time in custody for a 17-year-old boy who pleaded guilty to four offences.
The teenager, who as a juvenile cannot be identified, and a juvenile mate had entered a Woolworths store on July 2, last year, and took two bags of lollies and went to walk out.
However, when challenged by a staff member at the door, the then 16-year-old said he’d bash the staffer, Crown prosecutor Shontelle Petrie said.
When the staff member told him he “wouldn’t be able to if he tried”, the teenager then threatened to stab the man and the pair walked out, she said.
Then, on November 1, the same two had jumped the counter of a sushi restaurant and stole the cash register and ran off.
Four days after that, the teen had been spotted in a stolen car at a service station and the next day when that same car was crashed and four youths ran from it, he was found nearby by police, Ms Petrie said.
Barrister Frank Martin said his client had spent 118 days in detention as a result.
His client’s mother had brought him to court from their home in Stanthorpe where he was getting help to complete Year 10 before hopefully getting into a welding course in the hope of securing work, he said.
Judge Dennis Lynch QC said it was not likely the teenager would have been sentenced to detention for those offences and that 118 days pre-sentence custody seemed enough and reprimanded the lad with no conviction recorded.
Originally published as Four months in juvenile detention deemed time enough for teenager