FQ CEO: ATW withdrew from QPL the night before launch
MORE details have emerged of Football Wide Bay's last-minute inclusion in the inaugural Football Queensland Premier League.
FQ chief executive officer Geoff Foster said Across The Waves Football Club was offered a place in the newly-formed league.
Foster told News Regional he received notice at 6pm on Sunday that the Bundaberg club chose to decline the offer.
"It was certainly unexpected and a shock," Foster said.
"On Sunday night I received advice from Across The Waves that they had a meeting Friday night and decided not to accept our offer of a licence."
In a statement released Monday, ATW president Michael McLachlan said their application was unsustainable.
"Whilst some people may be disappointed, the ATWFC committee believe this to be a great outcome for Wide Bay Football," he said.
Foster's shock at ATW's decision to decline one of 16 Premier League licences was short-lived as Football Wide Bay jumped at the chance.
Within half an hour of receiving ATW's notice, Football Wide Bay was confirmed as this region's sole representative in the QPL.
"They were on the front foot immediately," he said.
"There was no doubt or question on their behalf, they were absolutely committed to ensuring they had a license in the Wide Bay region so their kids didn't miss out for another five years."
The five-year period is important: it is the next time FQ will revisit the composition of the Queensland Premier League.
It is one major reason why Football Wide Bay jumped at the chance to feature in the inaugural season.
Football Wide Bay will have to establish seven teams - under-13, U14s, U15s, U16s, U18s, U20s and seniors - in time for kick-off.
Association president Stuart Taylor said the governing body would work with its member base ensure Football Wide Bay's entry was one that fully represented the region.
Taylor admitted there was a lot of work to do ahead of next year's inaugural season, but it was a far better option for Football Wide Bay to take control of the license than leave the region unrepresented for the next five years.
"It's reassuring as we don't want people coming into the league without being totally committed to it," Foster said.
"It is a big ask, but we understand the multitude of what we're asking.
"I'm thrilled they grabbed it with both hands."
Football Wide Bay was one of several entities to submit an expression of interest late last year.
The governing body and the several member clubs withdrew from the process and publicly backed ATW's bid earlier this year.