Franky Houdini has been found dead in his prison cell
Franky Houdini has been found dead in his prison cell

Notorious child sex predator Houdini found dead in cell

NOTORIOUS child sex predator Franky Houdini has been found dead in his cell at Wolston Correctional Centre.

It is believed authorities are not treating his death as suspicious.

The former Ipswich magician, escapologist and child entertainer was jailed for six years in 2010 after being found guilty of an array of sordid crimes against young girls.

Houdini, 42, who changed his name from Frank Kunde, seduced teenage girls with promises of a modelling career, but instead took risque photos of them before molesting them.

The Ipswich District Court heard in November 2010, Houdini was having a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old girl who he photographed, abused and molested.

The court heard he filmed himself having sex with the girl on several occasions and was planning on selling the movie on the black market.

Houdini was due to be released from jail in September last year but former Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie made an application to have him declared a serious violent offender.

The hearing in the Brisbane Supreme Court in April last year got off to a bizarre start when Houdini refused to stand as the judge entered the court.

Houdini, who was dressed in a flowing white robe and with shoulder length hair and a beard, told the judge not to take offence because "God forbids him from standing when someone enters or leaves the room."

The outcome of the application was still pending at the time of his death. A Queensland Corrective Services spokeswoman confirmed an investigation had started into the death of a prisoner earlier this week.

"The 42-year-old male prisoner was located deceased on June 2 about 10.35am," she said.

"The investigation is being conducted by the Queensland Police Service's Corrective Services Investigation Unit and the Queensland Corrective Service's Office of the Chief Inspector."

"Queensland Corrective Service cannot make any further comment as the matter is the subject of a police investigation."