Workers have not been on The Jewel site since last week. Picture Glenn Hampson
Workers have not been on The Jewel site since last week. Picture Glenn Hampson

Hundreds of Jewel workers to find out fate today

WORKERS at the $1.4 billion Jewel site are expected to find out their fate today.

Since last Wednesday, hundreds of construction workers have been sacked or left in limbo not knowing if they have a job.

Tradies walked off the site on Thursday and Friday and had a public holiday and industry RDO Monday and Tuesday, leaving today as the first potential day to get answers.

 

In the meantime, subcontractors have had no further explanation as to what is going on and have no idea what they are walking into today.

"As far as I know the union is holding another meeting but after that I don't know," one worker told the Bulletin.

"Everyone is going to work planning to work but I haven't heard anything.

"Me personally, I think I'll be right for a while, but I can't say the same for the other guys - gyprockers, tilers, most of the cabinet makers - I'm not sure what's in store for the rest of them.

The Jewel project at Surfers Paradise during construction. Picture Glenn Hampson
The Jewel project at Surfers Paradise during construction. Picture Glenn Hampson

"I haven't spoken to the union and haven't heard from Multiplex, so I have no idea what's going on."

Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) representatives did not respond to the Bulletin's request for comment.

An insider said the union and workers would meet on site for a report. However, the union would not have much more information as they too were being kept in the dark.

Reasons for the poor communication have been left unanswered, as developer Yuhu Group blames builder Multiplex.

Josh Ryan is one of the workers who has lost his job at Jewel. Photo by Richard Gosling
Josh Ryan is one of the workers who has lost his job at Jewel. Photo by Richard Gosling

Last week, Yuhu Group said it was still finalising designs and configuration on lower-level podium and hotel aspects, which would be put back in the construction schedule.

Yesterday, it said it expected work to be in "full swing", saying the construction schedules are up to Multiplex.

Multiplex said it had been unable to speak publicly due to a contract stipulation.

Subbies United president John Goddard said he could not predict what would happen.

"It's pretty hard to know what games they're playing," he said.

"All I know is subbies are losing their jobs, their businesses are going to be affected badly - some might even lose them.

"They've pulled the rug out from underneath them.

"What I will say is that if these blokes lose their jobs, that building should sit there as an unfinished monument of ethics.

"Any subbie who takes a job on that site after their fellow subbie has been sacked is pretty much s--ting on his fellow worker.

"Subbies have to be vigilant."

A Queensland Building and Construction Commission spokesman confirmed an investigation has started.