SUSPICIOUS FIRE: Human remains were found inside a house in Hill St, Rockhampton, last week after it burnt to the ground
SUSPICIOUS FIRE: Human remains were found inside a house in Hill St, Rockhampton, last week after it burnt to the ground Contributed

Identity of remains in Lakes Creek home fire confirmed

FORENSIC testing of the remains of the body found in the Lakes Creek fire in North Rockhampton has confirmed the identity of the deceased person.

Police this afternoon confirmed the deceased man is Mark Petersen, 47, the sole resident and home owner.

Mr Petersen was a qualified builder by trade and had two sons.



jk4/21/610        Sale21b     Max & Mark Petersen of Lakes Creek, Rockhampton were keen to buy at last Monday's weaner sale at CQLX.
Janie Kayes 21/6/10
Mark Petersen of Lakes Creek, Rockhampton is confirmed as the victim in last Thursday's fire. Janie Kayes jk4/21/610

Emergency services arrived at the scene of the fire on Hill St at 2.36am last Thursday morning to find the two-storey house fully alight.

  The body was found at 6.30am after the fire was extinguished.   The house has been completely destroyed and police couldn't confidently say whereabouts in the house the body was found.   The circumstances of the fire are still being investigated.    The fire has been treated as suspicious and when conducting investigations, police located an illicit drug laboratory in the property across the road.   It is still unknown what drugs were manufactured at the property.   Police said they were not ruling out the links between the drug lab and burnt-out home.   Detective Snr Sgt Luke Peachey said although there was only one person who lived in the house, a number of other people visited frequently.   Mr Petersen owned both properties.   He lived in the the house which burnt down and tenanted out the other property where the drug lab was found.    The crime scene was guarded and held by police for a few days following the incident.    Police were seeking assistance from the public, specifically from anyone with CCTV or dashcam footage in the area.   Carol Cockerell, a nearby resident, described the event to a Morning Bulletin reporter.    "There were loud explosions and there were cinders blowing across the road," she said.   "I called the fire brigade twice I was in that much of a panic."   Mrs Cockerell's husband turned their garden hose on their brick home's roof to try and prevent the flames spreading.   Police were called to Hill St on March 18 after a man was struck with a barbecue implement and threatened with what turned out to be a gelblaster.   Police advised no further information was available at this time surrounding the fire and Mr Petersen's death.