Make a family’s Christmas by donating food hamper, presents
IN MARYBOROUGH and Hervey Bay, there are many families who struggle day to day.
Christmas is a particularly hard time as children add their expectations to the weight of worries affecting so many families.
The Chronicle's Adopt-a-Family appeal aims to help make Christmas a special time for many of these families.
The 2014 appeal is being launched on Monday by patron and rugby league legend Shane Webcke.
He has been a part of the appeal for seven years.
Mr Webcke said it was amazing to hear that on the Fraser Coast last year there were more people wanting to help out than people who were asking for help.
"Perhaps that shows there are more families out there who need our help and not getting it.
"When I was growing up our family would have likely needed something like this sort of help. We did it fairly tough.
"My wife and I and our kids now adopt a family each year.
"It's a great way for us to show our kids that some people really do it tough.
Neil Monaghan, the chief executive of APN Australian Regional Media, which includes the Chronicle, said APN newspapers were committed to their communities.
"We want to create an environment that enables people to put their hand up for help.
"It's not the Australian way to ask for a hand-out.
"But we don't want pride to stand in the way of asking for help.
"We are local people helping other local people.
"It's great that our APN newspapers and staff are part of this appeal.
"We are delighted to be able to give something back to the communities we live and work in."
- The list of families is online at www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/adoptafamily.
- The families are numbered and listed under each charity.
- Sponsors will be asked to provide a food hamper and a present for each member of the family.
- Sponsors can be private families, businesses, church groups, schools or even a group of friends who just want to help a struggling family have a special Christmas.
- To help a family you can call the charities named in the list.
- For more information, phone 4120 1053 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.