Man drowned at Brunswick Heads was a local

UPDATE, 7am: A MAN who drowned at Brunswick Heads was from Bangalow, and not a British tourist as previously reported.

Emergency services had said on Wednesday the man was visiting from Britain. However, he was actually a local man who had recently returned from a trip to the UK.

March 12: A MAN who died at the open beach at Brunswick Heads is believed to have drowned, Surf Life Saving NSW has said.

In a statement, the rescue organisation says the man, a British tourist aged in his 70s, was found by a member of the public floating in the water about 250m south of the Brunswick Heads surf club.

Efforts to revive the man were not successful.

Northern Emergency Coordinator Jimmy Keough was quoted in the statement saying surf conditions in the area were very unstable, possibly due to the effects of cyclone activity in Queensland.

"The surf conditions are treacherous at the moment and there are strong rips appearing along much of the northern NSW coastline," Mr Keough was quoted saying.

"Our hearts go out to the family and friends of this man and we'd encourage people to exercise caution if entering the water at unpatrolled locations."

Brunswick Heads is patrolled on weekends by volunteer surf lifesavers. Byron Bay main beach is currently patrolled by the Australian Lifeguard Service on weekdays and by volunteer lifesavers on weekends.

12.10pm A MAN has died after being pulled from the water at Brunswick Heads beach.

An Ambulance NSW spokewoman said paramedics were called to South Beach Rd at Brunswick Heads at 9.30am after reports a man had been pulled from the water after suffering a suspected cardiac arrest.

Paramedics arrived at the scene and found a police officer and a member of the public performing CPR on the man, who was believed to be in his 60's.

The spokeswoman said paramedics confirmed the man was deceased and handed the matter over to police.

This is the second death on Brunswick Heads beach in less than a fortnight after a man's body was found by a group of people exercising near the surf club on February 28.