A man in his 60s died in a marine incident at Lake Awoonga last night. Picture StixPix Productions
A man in his 60s died in a marine incident at Lake Awoonga last night. Picture StixPix Productions

Men 'thrown from boat' in fatal lake incident

UPDATE 9AM: RACQ Capricorn Rescue has shed further light on a boating tragedy that claimed the life of a man at Lake Awoonga overnight. 

Just after 9pm, RACQ Capricorn Rescue was tasked to conduct an aerial search within the confines of Lake Awoonga.  

"The Queensland Police Service had requested the assistance of Rescue 300 after a small vessel had been found operating in the water without occupants," a spokesperson said. 

"The crew utilised Night Vision Goggles throughout the search to locate any items of interest that could assist Queensland Police investigations. 

"The Rescue 300 crew sighted a man in the water and alerted the Queensland Police Service vessel to the location where QPS personnel then retrieved them." 

UPDATE 8AM: A police investigation is underway after a 68-year-old man died in a marine accident at Lake Awoonga last night. 

Around 8.19pm, police were called to the Awoonga Dam to reports two men were thrown from a boat into the water.

A search by Water Police, helicopter and other local resources including SES located a 42-year-old man floating and pulled him to safety.

He was taken to Gladstone Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Sadly, a 68-year-old man was located deceased a short time later.

A report is being prepared for the Coroner.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink by providing information using the online suspicious activity form 24hrs per day at www.police.qld.gov.au/reporting.

Quote this reference number: QP2001858359 within the online suspicious activity form.

INITIAL 6.40AM: A MAN in his 60s has died after a marine incident at Lake Awoonga last night.

Emergency services were called to Awoonga Dam Rd after 8pm.

A Queensland Police Service spokesman said two men were involved in a marine incident after their boat had troubles.

He said a man in his 40s was rescued from the water, and unfortunately the other man had died.

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said one male was taken to Gladstone Hospital in a stable condition.

Paramedics treated one other patient at the scene for critical injuries.

He said three paramedic crews, a critical care paramedic and a rescue helicopter was on scene.