M'boro sporting reps get financial help from Federal Govt
FOUR young Maryborough sporting representatives have been awarded funding in the latest round of the Australian Government's Local Sporting Champions program.
Federal Member for Wide Bay and Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss congratulated the sportspeople.
"These young men and women are to be commended on distinguishing themselves as sporting representatives participating in State and National championships for the Wide Bay region," he said.
"I hope that this funding will assist them to take the next step towards achieving their sporting goals.
"The Federal Government's Local Sporting Champions program helps young sportsmen between the ages of 12 and 18, by providing them with grants of $500 per person, to help meet the costs of participating in sporting events, including travel, equipment, uniforms, and accommodation."
- Thomas Hodge, National Junior Track Championship
- Nicholas Bennetts, 2014 Intra State Cricket Championships
- Paris Hardcastle, Queensland State Softball Championships
- Jay Paton, Queensland Football State Championships
To be eligible for a Local Sporting Champions grant, applicants:
- must be aged 12 to 18 years (inclusive)
- must be required to travel a distance of 250km or more, return
- must be participating in an official national sporting organisation endorsed state or national sporting competition, or national school sport competition
The Australian Sports Commission is responsible for the overall management and co-ordination of the program, with grant recipients chosen by a local panel.
"These local sporting champions will continue to build our region's reputation for producing outstanding athletes and I have no doubt that they will do a fine job of representing the Wide Bay region in their sporting endeavours," Mr Truss said.
Applications for the grants can be made at any time throughout the year, either through the Australian Sports Commission by visiting the website www.ausport.gov.au/champions or by phoning Mr Truss' office on 1300 301 968.