Tradie death ‘nothing to do with me’
ONE of the men police were seeking to answer questions over suspicious electrical work has professed his innocence and been allowed to walk free from a Sydney police station.
Police released photos of Hussein Ayoub and another man, on Tuesday asking them to come forward to help with inquiries into two incidents - a fire in Bexley and the electrocution death in Carlton of carpenter Luke Bray, which both occurred last year.
Mr Ayoub arrived at Kogarah Police Station with his lawyer on Wednesday, telling reporters "it had nothing to do with me".
His lawyer Eidan Havas said his client wanted to clear his name.
"We have turned up today to clear his name. He has nothing to do with the death of that kid," Mr Havas said.
Police confirmed Mr Hussein had identified himself to them and was assisting with inquiries.
Inside the same police station, Mr Bray's girlfriend Jaime-Lee Digby gave an impassioned plea for those who may have information on the incident to come forward to give that information to police.
Mr Bray, who grew up in Mackay and Cairns, died in February 2017, when he was electrocuted in the roof cavity of a home in Carlton.
She met Mr Bray when the pair were serving in the Royal Australian Navy and believed he had been planning to propose.
"I had to collect his belonging from the police station, which had a receipt for an engagement ring in it so it has been very painful," Ms Digby said.