Owners vow to rebuild M'boro butchery after suspicious fire
THE owners of Maryborough's Fairfield Butchery have vowed to rebuild their business of 25 years after it was all but destroyed by a suspicious fire on Wednesday night.
Mark and Fay Sengstock estimated about 80% of the building on Walker St was beyond repair, but the assessor was yet to do his inspections.
"The damage is mainly out the back," Mr Sengstock said.
"We've lost a lot of stock."
Investigations into the fire continued on Thursday afternoon, with a police officer guarding the scene.
It was believed the fire was deliberately lit just before 10pm on Wednesday.
When firefighters arrived the back storeroom was well alight.
Mr Sengstock said the flames were nearly under control by the time he arrived.
"The firies were great," he said.
"Some of them actually shop here so they weren't too happy about it."
He said he had already contacted his regular bulk-buying customers to inform them they couldn't get their usual orders.
"They were pretty upset," he said.
Ms Sengstock thanked their customers and members of the community for their support.