HOSED DOWN: Retired firefighter Michael Gent used a garden hose to contain an early morning garage blaze until firefighters arrived at his Conondale Crt home. photo Lea Emery / Fraser Coast Chronicle
HOSED DOWN: Retired firefighter Michael Gent used a garden hose to contain an early morning garage blaze until firefighters arrived at his Conondale Crt home. photo Lea Emery / Fraser Coast Chronicle Lea Emery

Retired firefighter helps battle blaze in his Torquay garage

A RETIRED firefighter helped hold back the flames after a fire broke out in his Torquay garage in the early hours of Monday morning.

Michael Gent, who had just moved to Conondale Crt from Adelaide, was woken by smoke detectors going off about 2am.

The quick-thinking retiree then sprang into action.

"I had been watering the front yard with the hose yesterday, which was still laid out," he said.

RELATED: Garage fire wakes residents after smoke alarms sound

Mr Gent battled the flames with his hose and managed to contain the blaze to a small area in the garage until firefighters arrived.

Mr Gent said he believed the fire started after he left a battery charging overnight.

The flames damaged a small workshop area in the garage and left the home smelling like smoke.