Grandfather ‘slashed, stabbed 50 times in the head’

MURDERED grandfather Steven Hinrichsen was "slashed and stabbed" in the head 50 times with a bladed weapon police still have yet to recover, a court has heard.

On Wednesday, SA Police urged the Adelaide Magistrates Court to refuse bail for one of three people accused of murdering Mr Hinrichsen, 63, on December 15.

Sergeant Trent Matijevic, prosecuting, said the murder was clearly premeditated - as shown by the evidence gathered so far.

"There were actually two assaults upon Mr Hinrichsen prior to the murder … one was reported to police, one was not," he said.

"There is evidence of text messages between the parties that show an intent to murder, and CCTV footage of the defendants on the same street as the murder.

"The nature of the murder was exceptionally brutal, with 50 slash and stab wounds to the deceased's head … the knife has not been located.

"If this accused is granted bail, that evidence might be interfered with - or be destroyed."

 

Mr Hinrichsen was repeatedly slashed and stabbed with a knife that has yet to be recovered, police told the court. Picture: Facebook.
Mr Hinrichsen was repeatedly slashed and stabbed with a knife that has yet to be recovered, police told the court. Picture: Facebook.

 

The identities of the trio charged with Mr Hinrichsen’s murder have been suppressed. Picture: Facebook.
The identities of the trio charged with Mr Hinrichsen’s murder have been suppressed. Picture: Facebook.

A Morphett Vale woman, 41, and two Christies Downs men, 43 and 45, have yet to plead to one count each of murder - their identities are suppressed by court order.

It is alleged they killed Mr Hinrichsen, a father of four, in his Nathan Court, Morphett Vale home.

At the time of the trio's arrest, police alleged Mr Hinrichsen had been "attacked up to 70 times" during the incident.

On Wednesday, Michael Lutt, for the 45-year-old defendant, conceded the allegations were "extremely serious".

"That's why we're only asking for home detention bail," he said.

"There is no dispute he was on the premises along with three other people - the two co-accused and his daughter, who has not been charged.

"My clear instructions are he had no involvement in any incident that might have led to the deceased's injuries."

Sgt Matijevic said Major Crime detectives were continuing their investigations and feared witnesses may be interfered with if the man were released.

Magistrate Elizabeth Sheppard said she was not persuaded to grant bail "at this stage".

"The position of the court may change once additional evidence clarifies the role that may have been played by this defendant," she said.

She remanded the man in custody until June.