Sand pile moved, council considers work to protect beaches
THE sand pile near the Seafront Oval has been used to replenish dunes west of the Margaret St groyne on Monday and Tuesday.
At the same time, the council is considering quotes to develop new foreshore revetment works to protect Hervey Bay beaches damaged by Cyclone Oswald last year and king tides this year.
"The quotes include the development of a 10-year installation program, as well as developing detailed design drawings for priority areas in Torquay that were hit hard by the king tides earlier this year," Fraser Coast Mayor Gerard O'Connell said.
"We anticipate that a consultant could be engaged in April to start the investigation.
"Now that council has received NDRRA funding to repair some of the damage to coastal assets caused by Cyclone Oswald, detailed design plans are currently being prepared for the partial reconstruction and repair of the Scarness rock wall.
"Once the design has been approved by council, the project will go out to tender so work is not expected to start until early in the new financial year.
"Council will also undertake work on the rock wall in front of Pier Park.
"The project is expected to start before June this year."
He said the council was also investigating a long-term beach nourishment program involving transporting sand or pumping sand.
Currently the program was limited by conditions of existing approvals that determined how much sand could be sourced from the mouth of Tooan Tooan Creek and where it could be distributed, Cr O'Connell said.