Smoke alarm saves unit from serious fire damage

FIRE fighters are reminding people on the Fraser Coast to check their smoke alarm batteries regularly after the device saved a Urangan home from a "potentially serious structural fire" on Thursday.

At about 3.15pm, Hervey Bay fire fighters were called to the Ladbroke Cres unit after neighbours heard the alarm.

Torquay fire station officer Jason McCloskey said the home owner had left a pot on the hot stove before going shopping.

He said the home owner put out the small fire herself when arriving home, but stressed the importance of a working smoke alarm.

There was no damage reported.