Teen killed by counter-terrorism police a "terror suspect"

UPDATE: THE Victorian teenager fatally shot overnight after attacking two police officers with a knife has been confirmed as a "known terror suspect".

Federal Justice Minister Michael Keenan said this morning that the Victorian police officer who shot the 18-year-old Naree Warren man was acting in self-defence.

He said an Australian Federal Police officer was in a serious but stable condition, downgraded from critical last night, and a Victorian police officer is in a stable conditions.

Woman, child killed after being 'pushed in front of train'
Facebookers outraged over state of cakes

Mr Keenan said the 18-year-old Narre Warren man, who attended the Endeavour Hills police station in Melbourne's south-east of his own free will for a meeting with officers, was a "known terror suspect" and was a person of interest to law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

"He came of his own volition ... he has then carried out an unprovoked attack on the officer about 7.45pm," he said.

"The incident occurred during a police investigation.

"It appears the shooting by the police officer was in self defence.

"While this is a horrible incident we do need to remain calm and go about our daily lives.

"It is exactly this type of bravery and dedication shown by these officers that will continue to keep our communities safe and secure."

Police would not confirm increased security at Parliament House in Canberra resulted from the teen's threats against the Prime Minister.

Touching donation allows terminally ill man to marry
Passersby help save teen in fatal head-on crash

They did confirm intelligence had suggested the teen was seen in public with an Islamic State flag but the investigation was in its early stages.

Victorian Assistant Commissioner Luke Cornelius, speaking at the scene last night, said homicide squad detectives were investigating with Professional Standards Command overseeing them.

"I believe that it is important that I take this opportunity to explain to the community as best we understand what has occurred tonight," he said.

"I want to make it very clear that the individual concerned, the individual who has died tonight was invited and did come of his own free will to the police station.

"It's clear to us that our members had no inkling that this individual posed a threat to them and as far as we were concerned, it was going to be an amicable discussion about that individual's behaviour.

"It's also clear to us that this individual has then, without any warning to our members, produced a knife and proceeded to assault them with a knife occasioning serious injury to them both.

"It's absolutely clear to us, our members really had no choice other than to act in the way they did.

"I am sure I will face some criticism for making those points.

"But it is important the community understands that this is not an exercise in police seeking to single out particular individuals in the community.

"Where we see individuals in the community behaving in a way which causes a concern for public safety, we have to reach out to those individual to understand what it is they might be planning to do and put ourselves in a position to deal with those individuals in a way which is safe and a way that promotes community safety.

"It is absolutely that intention which lay behind the actions of our members tonight."

Mr Cornelius said it was evident to police that the man was acting on his own and not with other individuals.

"It's our belief at this stage that this is an isolated incident although it has ended in tragic circumstances, tragic for the individual concern and that individual's family.

"My heart and my regret and concern goes out to them.

"But also, of course, I'm very concerned about the safety of my members.

"Although they are seriously injured it is of some relief to me that they live to fight another day."

AFP Commander Bruce Giles said police were investigating a routine matter.

When asked whether the teen had been seen waving an Islamic flag around, he said: "There is intelligence to suggest that may have happened but we're still confirming all the details to bring together all the links on that".

"Information is the lifeblood of our safety and our security and it is critical that all of us remain alert to risks and threats to our safety," he said.

The Islamic Council of Victoria has issued a statement calling for an investigation into the incident.

The council suggests that on face value, the incident should not have cost a young man his life and put two police officers in hospital.

"There needs to be a full and objective investigation into this incident to ensure that such a tragedy is never repeated," the statement read.

"The tragedy highlights the real cost of a failure to deal with these serious issues and why we have made numerous calls on the Australian Government to deal with the root causes of alienation and disaffection of people such as this.

"This is not about laying blame but about a genuine need to identify the root causes and deal with them so that no further tragedies such as this occur again." - APN NEWSDESK