Savk Hotel
Savk Hotel

Teens on holiday caught up in sexual assault nightmare

A GROUP of British teens on their first overseas trip away say they have been sexually assaulted twice in Turkey - and hotel staff have blamed them for "looking for group sex".

The youngsters were forced to flee in the middle of the night after one was groped on the beach while another had to push off a staff member who tried to assault them.

After they complained to the Turkish police and, who they booked the trip through, hotel staff claimed the group of teens - three females and one male - had been "drinking" and "looking for group sex".

But the group, from Surrey, has hit back, with the mum of one of the girls in the group saying they had been advised by the British Embassy to immediately leave the area as it was known for sexual assaults on Westerners.

The mother told The Sun Online: "They've been out there on their first holiday away together as friends abroad, and for this to happen to them is just heartbreaking.

"It has been so stressful for all the parents back home too because we want to help them but we couldn't."

One of the 19-year-old girls claimed she was sexually assaulted by a staff member at the Savk Hotel in Alanya, a resort town on Turkey's Mediterranean coast, on the third night of the holiday.

The group immediately flagged their concerns with the hotel but said the reception staff simply laughed at them - with the staff member involved continuing to work there.

On the fourth night, another teen in the group was sexually assaulted by a group of men outside the hotel, with local police allegedly refusing to speak to the girls involved, only taking a statement from their male friend.

The group of friends said after being advised to leave the hotel by the British embassy they had tried to nook new accommodation through but it was cancelled on the way there.

Despite the booking being cancelled, apparently as the hotel was full, the youngsters were helped by the manager and given a place to stay.

The indignant mum vented: "They've also racked up hundreds of pounds worth of phone bills trying to sort all this out.

"It's been so tough on them and it obviously destroyed the holiday for them."

A spokesman for LastMinute said: "Due to extremely limited local availability, despite searching for the best alternative our Customer Service Team were unable to arrange alternative accommodation at short notice.

"We then were unable to contact the customer again to offer further assistance with accommodation."

They said a refund had been provided for the new booking.

They added: "We were made aware that the customer had contacted the police during the trip and we have since requested any reports that we could forward to the supplier.

"We are unable to comment any further on this given the nature of the allegation and potential ongoing investigation, however we will remain in contact with the customer to advise and support them further where possible, as we take these matters extremely seriously."

They said they would now wait for statements from police to continue to investigate the matter further.

The spokesman said: "Customers are at the heart of our business and their safety of utmost importance to us therefore this allegation is of course of great concern to us.

"As such, as a precaution, we have removed the hotel from sale until we know more."

A Foreign & Commonwealth Office spokesman said: "Our staff assisted two British women following an incident in Alanya, Turkey, in June."

This story was originally published in The Sun and has been republished with permission.