GITHABUL elder Rob Williams was arrested for trespass at Cedar Point near Kyogle yesterday, after gaining access to a proposed basalt quarry.

Mr Williams of Woodenbong, said his motivation for jumping the low fence onto private land was to stop earthmoving equipment from destroying human remains and artefacts of his Githabul ancestors. He claims the proposed basalt quarry site was significant - a sacred men's initiation and burial site.

Mr Williams, flanked by family, said he was 'disgusted' that as a member of the Githabul Tribal Elders Council, and stakeholder in the project, he had been arrested.

"For all I know they are digging up the burial site now. I can't even go up there and check," he said.

Mr Williams said the Local Aboriginal Land Council in Kyogle green-lighted the quarry without proper consultation with Githabul elders.

Mr Williams and The Save The Cedar Point group did not rule out rolling protests and more arrests. "We will do everything we can to stop this," he said.

Mr Williams said he was ejected from a land council meeting only last week over the matter. His lawyer Al Oshlack said he was seeking an urgent injunction to stop operations.

Mr Oshlack said the archaeological surveys used in the DA were ten years old and surveyors had not completed a surface report due to low visibility.

Mr Oshlack said he intends to question Kyogle Council after a formal Government Information Public Access (GIPA) request found three DA conditions had not been met by the landowners.

According to the GIPA, sub-surface assessment was been provided, no approval has been given for the soil and water management plan, and no website has been provided as part of the conditions.

In 2012 a cultural heritage assessment was conducted as a requirement of the DA for the quarry. That process saw Everick Heritage Consultants hold meetings with representatives from the Githabul Elders Council at which they were informed of the importance of the site and the Githabul's strong opposition to the quarry proposal.

Rob Graham, owner of Graham's Quarry, the company planning to develop the site, would not return phone calls.